How to encode image produced by a recognition system?

Salaam.. i'm new to this subject... anyway i need to solve a post-processing phase for a Jawi ('Old Malay', origin from Arabic script) manuscripts recognition system.. hope to get help from this list ...

1. This particular recognition system produce binary images of Jawi/arabic scripts. How do we transform the particular image to match the codes given by UNICODE? (In other words, how do we make the result of a recognition system to be accepted and used as UNICODE /UTF-8 encodings?)

a) What is the best format to save the image?

b) Do i need to build databases for the images first then the codes?

I don't have much ideas about it...please help