Re: Akka on solaris

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 04:50:45PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Chahine, I had stated earlier that I had problems compiling Akka.  Well,
> I'm didn't want to get into it on previous threads - so here's a new thread
> to discuss that topic.
>
> System info:
>  uname -a     : SunOS taz 5.7 Generic_106541-15 sun4u
>  gcc --version        : 2.95.2
>
> Tried 'make' and got,
>
>  /usr/bin/orbit-idl akka.idl
>  make: /usr/bin/orbit-idl: Command not found
>  make: *** [akka.h] Error 127
>
> we don't have orbit* installed -- what is it and what can we use instead
> of it (what the heck is COBRA anyway) ?

First, I *will* get around to replying to all your messages (the relevant ones
at least)... gimme time to catch my breath here ;)

If you have read the half-assed Akka Reference Manual that I tried to put
together a long time ago, you would have noticed that I listed the two
dependencies:

1. SWIG - a tool for automatically generating the wrapper needed to link
collections of functions written in C/C++ w/ interpreted scripting languages
(currently only Perl is supported in Akka).

2. ORBit - a highe performance CORBA ORB w/ support for C. It allows programs
to send requests and receive replies from other programs, regardless of the
locations of the two programs.

> It would be ideal if this package was under the 'automake/configure'
> umberlla (I remember reading that Mohamemd recently became an expert in that
> :-)

Working on it. I'm having a hard time with checking for the executables
(namely orbit-idl).. Otherwise, it's mostly done. Of course I don't want
to cvs anything that will break Akka.

I don't know about the pecularities of SunOS, but I would be very surprised if
Akka compiles (even after satisfying the dependencies). It uses very linux
specific ioctl calls, and font descriptions. My biggest problem with porting
it to FreeBSD has been with the way it describes fonts (linux vs. freebsd).

Later on this..
--
Mohammed Elzubeir

Arabeyes.org - Arabic Unix Project