Re: Wordlist License

>On Saturday 03 March 2007 17:36, Anas R. wrote:
>> I don't think that FDL is good for dictionaries... it seems like we need
>> sort of FDL+LGPL licence.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> - Anas R.
>
> FDL+LGPL = ?

Dictionary is a 'printable library'

>Licensing a dictionary seems strange. Should I license my document that I used
>the Wordlist to write it to GPL?

 No, but I mean dictionary could be used as a library for other Software Applications, i.e:
Can Microsoft, or any commercial software provider ship Arabeyes's dictionary (as a database) in its commercial products?,
In its Office suite for example?

>In the same time, can I translate a new
>wordlist using Arabeyes' Wordlist and license it to X-PL? Can I
>copyright "Green=أخضر"?

Well, there was a discussion about copyrighting dictionaries in GNU mailing list,
here's a brief summary: http://www.linuxfuture.org/archives/2007/02/entry_32.html

- Anas R.