From: Djihed Afifi <djihedlists at googlemail dot com>
To: Documentation and Translation <doc at arabeyes dot org>
Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2007 6:29:53 PM
Subject: Re: Wordlist license [Nadim? Ossama?]

Ossama, the wiktionary is already FDL, but the problem is simply that
GPL and FDL don't allow relicensing of code. Simply put, you can't put
something in GPL into FDL and vice versa. However, both licenses have
been written by the FSF.

The wiktionary guys are not looking after commercial exploitation. Let's
not get into the "them" and "us" thing. We are both part of a community
thriving to provide open source code and documentation for arabic users.

By the way, GPL is indeed restricting, of course, but in a way that
makes the software flourish. the GFDL is like the GPL in this regard ,
i.e both are copyleft. I don't see a single reason why dual licensing
with GFDL could harm the wordlist.

Djihed

في خ، 04-01-2007 عند 06:17 -0800 ، كتب Ossama Khayat:
> I don't know why would the GPL be restrictive! Is it because they want to use it in commercial software? They can if they make it GPL or FDL (correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> How could all those softwares licensed under the GPL survive and be among the most popular if the GPL is restricting them.
>
> Anyway, again I live the final decision to Nadim and AlRushaidan as they are the original authors.
>
> regards,

Work on Arabic Gnome Translation
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/Gnome

Blog: http://djihed.com