Re: Some Translation issues we discussed.

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 06:56:31PM +0000, Youssef Chahibi wrote:
> On Sunday 15 October 2006 14:45, Djihed Afifi wrote:
> > He recommanded translating the non abbbreviated name to arabic, and
> > then abbreviating the translation using arabic rules.
> > e.g. IP
> > Internet Protocol = بروتوكول الإنترنت
> > IP = ب.إ
> What should be the abbreviation letters? The first letter or he first letter
> of the radical?
> ex:
> معلم متعامد ممنظم مباشر:
> ‌م‌م‌م‌م‌
> ع‌ع‌ن‌ب
> Letter م is very frequent in the beginning of many words in Arabic. Same with
> ا and أ.

I was thinking in this long time ago, and I think we can use the 1st
letter if the root in cases like your example or more any letter of the
word that makes more sense (see اهـ for انتهى and so).

> I used here the Persian ZWNJ (Zero width non joiner), which disjoins letters
> without a space. Should we use it for Arabic abbreviations and include it in
> the standard layout? Because the dot takes too much space.

I don't think this is good idea, I doubt if application will support
this or not, for example in mutt I see <200c> instead of that character.
Also this is not known among Arabs AFAIK.

--
Khaled Hosny

Egyptian GNU/Linux user
Member of Arabeyes translation team [www.arabeyes.org]