Re: Translators: a helping hand

في الأربعاء 11 أكتوبر 2006 15:08 ، كتب Djihed Afifi :
> Salam
>

> Some of you may know that I live in Manchester, UK. Nearby there is
> the University of Salford[1], they operate a unique course called
> "Arabic/English Translation and Interpreting" [2]. Fits well with what
> we do, right? It is the only course of its type in the United Kingdom.

[snip... snip...]

> For this week, what I would like to do is go through essential.po of
> the Technical Dictionary quickly with him. Can you please mark any
> strings that you think need revision as fuzzy, and freeze it by Friday
> morning, I'll work it out with him.

yes essential.po is a good starting point, you don't need to flood him with a
lot of work, I think this guy is just curious for the time .

> If you guys have another working model please let me know, but please
> understand that I wouldn't like to overload him with stuff.

It is a good idea to have say for example some students install arabic linux
and try to work from scratch with arabic support only (no english if
possible ), we can thus see if the translations are unambiguous and a pure
arabic speaking user would be able to configure and work with it as a
standard home computer solution ( e.g. work with Gnome, KDE , firefox
OpenOffice etc....).

We are actualy translating hundreds or thousands of sentences but there is no
feedback from targeted endusers (customers ! ?) .
If there is some interest we can ask them to post critics , remarks and bugs
reports regularly on doc list so we can correct things in the making.

salam

--
محمد سعد