Re: how to translate "profile" ?

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 05:26:43PM +0100, محمد سعد wrote:
> في تاريخ الجمعة 24 نوفمبر 2006 23:40 ، كتب المراسل Khaled Hosny :
> > On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:23:54PM +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > > Any idea how to translate "profile"? It is translated تشكيل or تشكيل
> > > جانبي,
>
> Example: If you are talking about an identity photo say for pplying for a
> driver license you have to provide 2 photos
>  1 face
>  and one profile
>
> so you can say for the later: sourat tashkeel jaanibee
>
> second example :
>
> if you are painting an object, u can paint or use the profile view of this
> object
> = تشكيل جانبي

I agree with this translation in such context, but it is irrelevant to
the meaning that I'm asking for.

> > > but IMO both are far away from its meaning in the context of
> > > computing.
> yes but I don't have a precise tranlation
> it is something near to, say for example
> a file containing some descriptive properties of someone or something, u can
> store them and call them at will
>
> may be the nearest meaning in arabic is =
> خاصية ، خاصيات ، ميّزات ، مواصفات ، صفات

All these may be correct, but it won't be unique, see properties,
specifications, features and so.

> > ماذا عن "طور" ؟
> > من المعجم الوجيز:
> > (الطَّوْرُ) :
> > و- : الحال والهيئة. (ج) أَطْوَارٌ.
>
> may be this the corect  scientific translation, but i have never heard of it

Nor me, but I think this is the best in our situation.
--
Khaled Hosny

Egyptian GNU/Linux user
Member of Arabeyes translation team [www.arabeyes.org]
My Blog: [khalid_hosny.manalaa.net]

Support Free Knowledge [ar.wikipedia.org]