Re: Arabic letters for folder/file names

Hello Mohammad,

Am 2006-01-04 20:38:03, schrieb Mohammad Halawah:
> On Wednesday 04 January 2006 19:39, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Am 2005-12-26 15:52:47, schrieb Mohammad Halawah:
> > > No , unfortunately. I am in Germany now :-(
> >
> >         Why unfortunatly?
> Coz if I was in Morroco, Chahibi could'v helped me.

;-)

> > > I have tried the code above, but couldn't work it out.
> > >
> > > since my keyborad is German I have also tried:
> > >
> > > #export        LANG=ar_DE.UTF8
> > > #export    LANGUAGE=ar_DE.UTF8
> > > #export LC_MESSAGES=ar_DE.UTF8
> >
> > This does not work, becasue there is no locale ar_DE.
> Do you have any idea how to make one?

because you can not get Messages in arabic, you should use

        export LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.UTF8

or if prefered english

        export LC_MESSAGES=C

Then LANGUAGE is neccesary to get programs in your desired Language

        export    LANGUAGE=ar
or
        export    LANGUAGE=de
or
        export    LANGUAGE=C

LANG change the names of the DATE in the 'ls' command.

        export        LANG=de_DE.UTF8
or
        export        LANG=ar_MA.UTF8
or
        export        LANG=C

Myabe you should setup the whole locale to your wishes:

    LANG=ar_MA at UTF8
         ^^^^^^^^^^
    LC_CTYPE="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_NUMERIC="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_TIME="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_COLLATE="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_MONETARY="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_MESSAGES=de_DE at UTF8
                ^^^^^^^^^^
    Should be de_DE at UTF8 or C because there is no arabic mo file for it

    LC_PAPER="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_NAME="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_ADDRESS="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE at UTF8"
    LC_ALL=

    LANGUAGE=ar,C,de
             ^^^^^^^
    Yes, this can be a comma seperated list.

The Font I am using LatArCyrHeb-16 does support the characters of
iso8859-1 and iso-8859-6 under UNICODE, but the problem is, that
'ls' does not make the shaping, which mean, that UNICODE names
looking a bit strange.

Under Woody I had a kexmap, which print singel Arabic characters
withot needing to rearrange (left, right, middle or alone) it.

Filenames writen with this Keymap are shown correctly.  :-/
Right, because I am arranging the glyphs manualy.

> Ok if there is a hack that I can do (never mind the difficulty) what
> would it be ?
>
> Also I will check if the Kubuntu have this solved.

I was looking into other distries too, but currently I have
no permanent Internet access because my f... appartement.

> Thanks for tracking,

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi