Re: Arabeyes Translation Teams

On 8/2/06, Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:

[...]
Does that mean that they
can't contact our friends in Neptune for help ?  No it does not, that
option was and will continue to be available.  Meaning (and I'm jumping
the gun abit in talking about pootle, etc) people are free to use
and try any means they see fit to get the job done.  Arabeyes has
tried to be very accommodating yet with the unfortunate lull (and lack
of interest) on the 'core' side of things being accommodating now is
not something the handicapped 'core' members can realistically do.

Project maintainers/coordinators really need to step-forward and take-on
more of the burden to really __lead__ the project they are responsible
for since the more I think about our current state the more I'm inclined
to suggest the initial approach.
[...]
All that is asked from you (given you a project maintainer/coordinator)
is that you keep CVS updated (sync'ed and committed with newly translated
files).

If I may paraphrase what you are saying for everyone, project maintainers are FREE to use whatever means and tools THEY think are best to get the work done. They would have only to adhere to the following:

1- Follow Arabeyes standards with regard to the Arabic language (this
includes using the technical dictionary when we have one)

2- Keep track of project deadlines and meet them

3- Keep everyone up-to-date about the project and its progress. This
includes updating the project webpage or writing news items etc...

 If you are looking to get pootle installed, I read a couple of
offers from people to do it for you to try.  My view on pootle (and ilk)
is that the idea is good but it is not fully cooked yet.  QaMoose, if you
really look into what it does, was/is a precursor to what pootle is
supposed to do - we stopped using it the way it was supposed to be used
due to lack of interest from supervisors who were supposed to inspect and
decide on (approve/reject) terms (Ossama.K care to comment on your
experience there ?).

As it is with all OSS, nothing is ever fully cooked. However, I think the idea is a pretty good and we may just get something out of it in its present state. I propose going even a bit further and saying if no one is able to let us try Pootle outside Arabeyes, we could run it on the Arabeyes server, just temporarily, to make the lives of project maintainers easier.

I know you will probably be uneasy about that, but lets just go the
extra mile this time in doing whatever the project maintainers
request, and see what comes of it and whether or not they deliver the
goods :-)

Thanks for all the ideas. Please keep sharing the wisdom.

Abdulaziz,