Re: Solutions Linux 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:47:39 +0100, Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian dot org> wrote:

> I also talked about the Tamazight localisation, not only with Youcef,
> but also with one of the two fellows I mentioned above, as he
> mentioned me he is (like 60% of the population in Morocco) of
> "Berbčre" origin (dunno how to write Berbčre in English). I also had

I noticed this in a big way during my visit to Casablanca. I dont know
much about this issue, but the problem you might face most with
Tamazight localization is the broad spectrum of different dialects.
Arabic has many forms and dialects, but it still has the standard
classical Arabic to over-rule all of these. To the best of my
knowledge, Tamazight might not have such a standard form. (btw in
English Berbčre is Berber :-)

> I'm not sure whether this is relevant to Arabeyes : it's probably up
> to you people to decide that, I guess.

I think it is very relevant, personally. Even if we, as Arabeyes
members, do not participate directly in
Tamazightization/Kabayelization, we should, at the very least, support
the setting up of sister projects to Arabeyes, dedicated to the
languages of the Maghreb.

> As a conclusion, I have the feeling that some huge "manpower" lies in
> the Maghreb community for participating in Arabic
> localization. Remember that Arabic is estimated to be now the second
> language spoken in France and the link between Maghreb countries and
> France is still (and will remain) very strong. So, as a conclusion,
> there is a great opportunity here for getting more involvement in
> Arabic localisation and I sincerely hope that a great progress will be
> made in next years.

Precisely what we are trying to tap into. The enthusiasm and level of
skill I met with were great. I made quite a few contacts there. At the
moment we are trying to follow through, in getting those people
involved in our efforts, or indeed in any effort, just as long as we
get people to deploy more and more FOSS :-)

Salam,

Abdulaziz,