Re: Arabic letters for folder/file names

On Thursday 22 December 2005 15:44, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2005-12-19 16:24:08, schrieb Mohammad Halawah:
> > Salam all,
> >
> > I would like to have readable Arabic letters for my file names. I
> > have installed KDE 3.4 with "kde-i18n-ar" but still the arabic
> > files locks like "كـــيــف يــكــون حـــال
> > الــــداعـــيـــة"
> >
> > I hope there is a solution for this. I guess it is encoding
> > problem but I am not that expert. I have tried some encodes but
> > could not get it right. I am using Debian (unstable).

Hi Michelle,

> On the Console (VT) ?
While navigating my files using "Konqueror" or "Konsole"

> This is, because the FileSystem does not support Bidi.
Then what should I do? I have installed
libfribidi-dev  Development files for FreeBidi library
libfribidi0      Free Implementation of the Unicode BiDi algorithm

but still can't see arabic char's.

> But anyway, do you have tried
>
>   __( '/home/michelle.konzack/.bashrc'
> )________________________________ /
>
> | export        LANG=ar_MA.UTF8
> | export    LANGUAGE=ar_MA.UTF8
> | export LC_MESSAGES=ar_MA.UTF8
>

> \___________________________________________________________________
>___
>
>   __( '/home/michelle.konzack/.bash_profile'
> )__________________________ /
>
> | echo "Load Console Font and Keyboardlayout..."
> |   consolechars --font=LatArCyrHeb-16
When I executed this line the result was an error message:
"set_kernel_font: Invalid argument"
So I went to
and decompressed the file and used the command
#consolechars --font=/usr/share/consolefonts/LatArCyrHeb-16+.psf
but I got he same error message.

> |   loadkeys --quiet -s michelle-euro-ar
I have tried with
/usr/share/rdesktop/keymaps/ar
"expected filename between quotes"
"syntax error in map file"

Also tried with
/usr/share/locale/ar/LC_MESSAGES/install-keymap.mo
"syntax error in map file"
> |   unicode_start
>

> \___________________________________________________________________
>___
>
> (you schould use your own keymap, because I use a special one)
Can you send me a copy of your keymap so I can mimic it to my needs. I
guess without the keymap I can't use the script you gave me above.

If there is a howto that I can follow, I will save your efforts :-)
and thanks for the tips,

I am sorry, if my trials doesn't looks rational, but I wanted to get
this feature in my machine, and when I try to convince others to use
Linux, sometimes I am faced with the question "Does it support
Arabic?"

> Greetings
> Michelle

In peace,
Mohammad
PGP key finger print :60EB 43C9 C29E 9CEB E159 9DE1 7145 54F9 1686 2BB3