Re: Is there an offline Ar/En dictionary for Linux

On Thursday 22 December 2005 20:07, M. Yaser Houri wrote:
> As'salam alikom Mohammad,
wa 3alikum assalm akhy Yaser

> There is an offline EN/AR dictionary for linux.
> You've to install dict-freedict-eng-ara using apt-get: (You have to
> be as root to run the following command)
>
> apt-get install dict-freedict-eng-ara
It is newly added coz a year ago I spent a weak searching for it
and I could't find any, thanks.

> Then Download and install Ktranslator for the following link:
> http://ktranslator.sourceforge.net/
BTW, there is a deb version.

> Ktranslator is like bablyon translator for windows.
>
> run ktranslator and choose the english/arabic dict-file dictionary
> from /usr/share/dictd/
Well , it seams that the Ktranslator doesn't accespt any of the files
in  /usr/share/dictd/.

So baisically there are two files
freedict-eng-ara.dict.dz
freedict-eng-ara.index

I have tried all possibilities
dictd
babilon
plain
(Which one should I select)

More, I have unzipped the file using Ark, but still Ktranslator doesn't
offer to select any of them. Please lead me in this manner step by
step.

> After that, you can just hold Cotrol key (ctrl (in german is strg) )
> and double click on the word that you want to be translated.
> Then, the ktranslator will pop up the translation, if it exists.
Thats a cool feature but after I get it running.

> Surely, you can install more than the english/arabic dictionary.
> There are german/english, english/german, french/english and many
> more. You can just install them and add them to ktranslator.
>
> Have fun
> Yaser...

In peace,
Mohammad
PGP key finger print :60EB 43C9 C29E 9CEB E159 9DE1 7145 54F9 1686 2BB3