Re: call for action

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 14:47, Arafat Medini wrote:
> Salam,
>
> Ok so let's tackle this then.
> Nadim you wrote once a script which mixed all the translations into
> one file, can you please compile it against the gnome, DI and OO pos?
>
> My view is very conservative and simple: when we have that po, we're done!!
> We then claim that's our "official QAC wordlist". And we let every
> rule we concieved go against it.
>
> waddaya think? ;)

That would definitely be the most practical solution, as long as we dont treat
this PO like Holy Scripture. We have to know nothing should be above
criticism. We'll have to edit this thing every once in a while.

To be frank, I (as a user, not as a translator) am not happy with much of the
translation we currently have, even in Gnome, OOo, and D-I. The problem is, I
cant come up with better, so I'm forced to STFU ;-)

We do need a more scientific approach to translation though, sooner or later.
I want words that are catchy, meaningful, powerful, expressive, and not
culturally vacuous. Words that describe the actual OBJECT they refer to, and
NOT the English word for that object.

Its all part of *our* vision, that one day we'll have Arabic interfaces that
are not simply proofs of concept, but actual viable alternatives. :-)

I hope everyone shares this vision.

Abdulaziz,