Re: questions on the Wordlist

--- sven vahar <aabram at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On 4/19/05, Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> > I'm unaware of what they use in the Al-Mawrid so if there
> > is URL that can shed some light that would be wonderful.
>
> For online lookups I use Sakhr dictionary at
> http://dictionary.sakhr.com/

Sakhr (whom we've tried to contact countless times to no avail)
and various online Arabic translation tools/sites aren't a source
we can use - it can, as you note, be a passing reference (their
licenses strictly forbid "using" the output).

> For example the lookup for "mountain"
> and "sea" give Arabic nouns without an article. As a learner I find it
> easier because I may not know whether the Arabic word given actually
> starts with "al" or is it just an article. For example ‏الحيمياء of
> which I cannot know whether the "al-" belongs to the word and is a
> part of it is it used as an article and the real word would be. This
> especially confusing when respective English word starts also with an
> "al", like in this example "alchemy". Maybe the difference for me is
> that I'm not viewing the wordlist as... well... the wordlist for
> native users but rather than the dictionary. I acknowledge that these
> are different approaches. For example a dictionary-suitable list would
> ideally include vowel diacritics as well ;-)

Any comments from our QAC team on this ?  If anything this ought to be
viewed and addressed under the "Quality" umbrella of the work at hand.