Re: Does waw el-3atf need a space after it?

On Yaum al-Jumma 16 Sha`ban 1425 03:52 pm, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 23:44, Arafat Medini wrote:
> > more news! There is a rule for linking or not linking the waw! the waw
> > is linked in EVERY case only in one: when you link two sentences which
> > are not causally linked in their meanings to each other!
> > like say: I am eating bananas and killing a donkey, so killing the
> > donkey has nothing to do with eating bananas... In this case the waw is
> > not linked!

May I ask from where did this rule come from?

> Very interesting -- and worth noting for Duali's algorithm as well.
> Thanks for the research ;)

The rule I know regarding waw el-3atf is definitely you will not put any space
after it. The reason is very simple; you would not like the word after it to
wrap to the next line and leave the waw alone at an end of the line whether
you are eating banans or killing that donkey ;) do you?

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA