Re: Translate even with a limited available time

Salam,

On Friday 05 March 2004 22:59, ahmad khalifa wrote:

> i was curious, do u translate each and every entry in the PO or do u do a
> rough translation and clean it up..?

You can do both. I personally prefer the first possibility.

> sure, i can help for a while. but when arafat comes back im supposed to
> help him in translating Gnome 2.8, so i could stop translating for u
> anytime...
> (i'll inform you before, i wont just disappear)

Great ! Wether you work on GNOME or on another project, it is perfect for me
as long as you do your 100 translations/week ;-) So, when Arafat is back,
you'll switch to GNOME...

> btw, im the kind of guy who would translate 100 entries a week instead
> of 20 each day...
> so its YOUR move now.

Well, I really prefer if you work no more than 20 minutes/day... I don't know
if you've ever worked on translation, but it may get boring. It would be nice
to prevent such thing from happenning by working by small steps. Well, it's
really up to you, but I don't want to hear that you got bored in a month ;-))
[And most important, you can continue to do your other 'volunteering' work as
well as your 'real' work]

> if you're sending me POs to translate, send me some learning POs.. i.e so i
> know
> what translating conventions you use.

OK. You can start on mandrake/xmms.po. It contains less than 100 strings to
translate/unfuzzy. Can you do that before next Sunday ?

Here are the guidelines:

1/ I suppose you're already familiar with Arabeyes CVS ? (Ask otherwise)
2/ Read the 'Translator Guide' (http://www.arabeyes.org/docs.php). You'll know
how to configure KBabel, how to translate particular strings... among many
other things.
3/ Start translation !
4/ Commit !

I recommend once again that you work by small pieces and that you commit the
file as soon as you are done for the day (ie, don't let modified files sleep
in your PC ;-) This prevents from having CVS conflicts and from
catastrophes... It happens to be useful too in your case (beginner): this way
I can easily check your first commits ;-)

Note for Mandrake: I do a weekly synchronization with Mdk's CVS on Sundays. So
it's absolutely necessary that you commit your file on Saturdays and update
it on Sundays (to prevent any loss in the work).

> >I'm still waiting for replies................................
>
> as i said, i think you wont get much from this list, cuz ppl are already
> busy here...

I'm still optimistic... I wait for 18 more answers !

Salam,

PS: Don't hesitate to ask if you've questions :-)

- --
Youcef R. Rahal
Arabeyes.org
http://www.arabeyes.org/~rahal