Re: Translations mistakes and incompleteness

On Thursday 04 March 2004 23:41, Ossama Khayat wrote:
> While working on 'translate/mandrake/urpmi.po' file
> today, I noticed:-
>   - Many spelling mistakes
>   - Strings that were just copied as is!
>   - Comma is put as ','  instead of the Arabic(?)
>     one '،'
>   - Alef Hamza is almost put randomly
>   - Less or none harakat/shadda used

Yeah. Same here.

> I've always faced these things, but was so lazy to
> mention them.
> Now that it's really repeated (in KDE and Mandrake
> files) we have to solve it.

Sure. That's why we need to review the files...

> Somethings we can do to prevent this (at least at the
> time of completion):
>   - Check for Arabic spelling mistakes (using Duali)
> (Elzubeir, I know you
>      gave this idea, so i'm 'quoting' here ;-))
>   - Put harakat wherever it's necessary and/or needed
>   - Push those lazy QAC members for help and creating
> some guidelines.
>     (Oh, wait.. I'm one of them.. ;-|)

Yes sure.

>   - Do a quick final review before declaring the file
> _completed_

Agreed too. However (at least for the Mandrake translation), a file with 100%
strings does not mean a completed & reviewed file (unless the cvs commit log
mentions that). It simply means that the last translator has translated all
the remaining fuzzy and untranslated strings. Every file there needs a
review, which should be done under the QAC to-be-created directives...

> For those who want to help, and still don't have much
> time to do the actual
> translation, you can help us in doing a review on
> completed files just by going
> through it and correcting any mistakes.

I'm going to propose something, in a separate thread, about how to help in
translation with a very limited time.

Salam,

- --
Youcef R. Rahal