Re: [OT] Debian Mixed System Was Re: Arabeyes and Fedora

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 02:34:17PM +0100, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> As you couldn't resist, may be I will use the chance to bug you..
> I am a Linux and Fedora user (that is a linux user which uses fedora
> usually but uses other distros). I was interested in switching to
> debian, but had the problem of stable vs. secure.
> More explanation: I cannot use debian unstable or testing because they
> don't have security updates, which are important to me as I am a network
> admin. And I cannot use stable because it is too old for my taste.
> Switching when Sarge comes out is not a solution as I will probably have
> the same problem after another year or two.
>
> I am sure there are network admins there in debian, what do they do?

First off, this list is not the best place to ask this.

Now, I remember having this conversation with you before ;) I didn't
have the best answer at the time. The answer to this is "pinning".
Doesn't make sense? Take alook at the APT-HOWTO [1].

In reality, there is no good answer to this. Your best bet is to keep
your system mostly on 'stable' and grab packages from different branches
of debian (unstable or testing.. or even experimental, depending on your
needs). As an admin, you will have to watch out for advisories (as well
as doing your own security analysis of course). So, as long as you go
out of your way to grab things out of 'stable', you are going to have to
watch out for those packages yourself (in terms of security). Otherwise,
Debian can happily accommodate with a mixed system (as the howto likes
to call it).

Referenc:
[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/

Regards