Re: Fedora and Translation Teams

Hi,

Mohammed has already answered this post, I'd like to stress on some points
though.

On Saturday 26 June 2004 16:09, Alan Cox wrote:

[...]

> However
>
> -	Our translation admins don't have a perfect knowledge
> 	of all translation teams

Actually, they... <cough>should</cough> ;)

Sorry to give examples from the 'outside' again, but as many other translators
stressed on the fact that a comparaison has to be made, I'll do it :-)

In one concrete example, Mandrake, there's a l10n coordinator, who seems to be
aware of _all_ teams and their coordinators. When I post to their mailing
list, I'm 'recognized' at once though, believe me, I posted far less on
Mandrake's lists than on Fedora's. When a new comer posts to the list, he/she
is immediately asked to join a team if any (or the team coordinator usually
answers directly) and I don't have any memory where things went bad (people
refusing or something like that). I have never had to say I am the
coordinator of Arabic translation, to say we started translation on X date,
we translated Y strings and we committed Z times... Part of the exchanges on
the recent thread were due to translation admins not knowing some facts.

[...]

> -	Language teams have a habit of appearing *after* someone has
> 	done the first 99% of the translations

At least for Fedora it's not the case. I can again give the example of
Mandrake, being translated by Arabeyes (I am coordinating the
translation...). Actually we 'appeared' after a good deal of translation was
made, by people who wasn't organized in a team. The work has been stalled for
some time and thus we asked for maintainership. We could have taken all the
credit since the translation page of Mandrake makes no mention of any
previous translators (exept that Arabeyes is the coordinator), no ?:

http://www1.mandrakelinux.com/l10n/ar.php3

However, we were very keen to give credit to the previous translators:

http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Mandrake (see 'Notes').

And their names are in the PO headers too.

About the credits: it's not only important to give people credit for their
'donations' (the donations here are 'hours of participation and dedication'),
but also you have a reference to point to in case of an issue. When and
end-user finds a 'bug' (vocabulary, grammar, or... worse !) in translation,
you can always refer them to the people who did it. When there's a (known)
team, it's even better. Rather than being obliged to say: 'Ooops, actually,
we have no idea who did what...'.

[...]

> The second problem here is I suspect a cultural difference - while the
> Arabic translators may be used to trading essays with references a lot
> of Westerners tend not to bother to read long things but like concise short
> arguments.

As far as I can say, I try to email 'short' posts with clear questions ;-)
However, my/our questions (until now) are simply being ignored by the
translation admins. Again, answering them clearly would save to all of us
'hours' of precious time.

[...]

Best regards,

- --