Arabic Maintainership

Salam,

I think I need to re-trace myself and remove all the passion out of my
correspondences.

Youcef is a member of the Arabeyes project, like many others, including
myself. Arabeyes is involved in several projects, some of which are
translations. We have evolved to have a certain model of doing this,
which in my opinion, has been successful -- this is not to say that there
isn't room for improvement (there's plenty of that).

Youcef has started this project (local to Arabeyes) upon receiving what
was understood to be maintainership of the Arabic language translations for
Fedora. This has been a misunderstanding, as Arabic was never assigned a
maintainer. However, we have continued to work under that wrong
impression. So, we have our CVS, project page, mailing-lists as well as QAC
to be followed by Fedora's Arabic translation (along with other translation
projects).

The beauty of this is that other translators can seamlessly translate
for Fedora, KDE, GNOME, Mandrake, Debian, etc. since they are all on the
same CVS. Most don't, but several translators enjoy being able to work on
more than one project without having to deal with the many projects systems
individually. In other words, Arabeyes simplifies this process by creating
a single-point of contact. We then worry about the sync'ing with the
other projects' CVS repositories.

As I understand now, Fedora does accommodate to maintainers, but is still
in its early stages of setting up for translations. In other words, some of
the things that are wanted are still being worked on. I also understand
that as long as there are no objections, Youcef can assume the role of
maintainer. I also understand that there are in fact objections. It is
unfortunate that these objections are not made public. The only person who
has publically made an objection was Sherif. His concern was "issues with
the translations" and "issues with the way Arabeyes handles things". In
other words, there are still no publically cited concrete reasons to back
these objections

My question then is, what makes an objection justifiable for a rejection of
an application to maintainership? Who are those other(s) people and what
are there reasons? Are those reasons not work-able within the same
framework that Youcef is implementing?

The problem here is that if Youcef is not granted maintainership of the Arabic
translation, it becomes impossible for Arabeyes to fit it under its current
framework. In other words, this would in effect force Arabeyes to drop
the project. This would mean that the 7 current translators for the project,
excluding Youcef himself (let alone the others who overflow from other
translation projects from time to time) will not be able to contribute
to Fedora's translations. We will be forced to re-assign them to other projects.

I apologize for the long emails, but I believe that explaining the
background of Arabeyes's work methodology and Youcef's role in this can
help others better understand why this is important.

So, if Groh is the person who calls the shot on who is maintainer and who
is not (I gather this from his offer to the Swedish maintainer), then I would
ask him to consider all the above.

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |