Re: Great news: KACST is going to begin working in translation next week

Salam,

On Sunday 20 June 2004 08:17, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 02:25:24AM +0300, Munzir Taha wrote:
> > Salaam,
> > I would like to announce with pleasure that King Abdulaziz City for
> > Science and Technology (KACST) wants to participate in the translation
> > beginning from next Saturday. I will be the coordinator in the
> > translation work. The work
>
> Coordinator of what exactly?

Yes. Of what ?

[...]

> > They would like to start with KDE, OpenOffice.org, Fedora, Debian,
> > wordlist ... as time permits. Since our work will be intensive, I prefer
> > we take a project and work with it until finished without intervention
> > from others to avoid conflicts and time waste as much as possible. Since
> > I would be working with them fulltime I would like to take over the whole
> > procedure (for one month) from committing the changes to sync'ing with
> > KDE main site. I need some help here regarding the sync procedure and
> > BRANCH/HEAD issues.
>
> Munzir, Arabeyes doesn't work that way. Each project has its own
> maintainer and so you cannot just "take over for a month" ;) However, in
> the case of KDE, our coordinator's activity is less than satisfactory,
> so unless he quickly responds, I would be more than happy to hand it
> over to you for a month. This however, would not apply to other
> projects.

I second.

Concerning the translations I'm coordinating:

1- Nothing to do (for now) on Mandrake.

2- Fedora has only one partly-translated big file. It contains a little more
than 1000 untranslated/fuzzy strings. It's rather boring (long messages with
lots of parameters etc). Since it's difficult to work collectively on such a
file, the ideal will be to have 3 translators, working in a rotative way:
morning/afternoon/evening (I understand that it will be itensive). That way,
the file will certainly be fully-translated at the end of that month.

[...]

> > - whether it's better to commit to Arabeyes first and then sync to the
> > main site or directly to the main site.
>
> Since we have been doing things on Arabeyes' CVS and then sync'ing, the
> natural response would be -- working on Arabeyes and then sync'ing.
>
> Munzir, people who wish to contribute in translating for x project will
> have to go through the normal procedure everyone has to go through
> (registration, application for CVS account, etc.). I'm not sure I
> understand how you wish to go about doing this (I'm getting the feeling
> you have some other plan for how you want it done). If you have better
> suggestions, let us know.

Yes. They'll need to register for accounts, subscribe to the mailing lists
etc. I certainly would like to talk to and interact with the people I'm
working with.

Salam,

- --
Youcef R. Rahal