[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Need for a debian-l10n-bidi mailing list?
- To: Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian dot org>
- Subject: Re: Need for a debian-l10n-bidi mailing list?
- From: anmar oueja <anmar at canada dot com>
- Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:51:59 -0700
- Cc: anmar at arabeyes dot org, Arash Bijanzadeh <a dot bijanzadeh at linuxiran dot org>, vorlon at debian dot org, webmaster at guides dot co dot il, Documentation and Translation <doc at arabeyes dot org>, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle at freenet dot de>, loubaton dot shlomi at 012 dot net dot il
- User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 0.6 (X11/20040605)
Christian Perrier wrote:
We have two options:
-one single mailing list, named debian-l10n-bidi, where all people
working on i18n/l10n for BiDi languages could work together
I think it is a great idea. I all for it but I have the following
recommendations or ideas I would like to share:
1. Localization the strings for RTL languages are only part of the whole
picture of truly localizing an interface. For example, progress bars
should also be RTL, the ok and cancel should be switched around...etc
.etc that means localizing an app is more than just translating the PO
files. It is getting involved in the changes the UI should adopt to
accommodate true RTL languages.
Therefore, I suggest we have a debian-28n-bidi (l10n + i18n) mailing
list that focus on localization and internationalization combined
The list will help us discuss translation and UI changes that focus on
bidi/RTL languages. For example we can discuss changes such ad:
- translation of PO files of course
- curses lib modifications to add language switching capabilities (not
sure if curses takes care of that)
- console fonts support (making sure there is a single font that all RTL
languages can use. if not we can add the necessary glyphs)
- focus on info and man pages support for RTL languages
- Discuss a set of recommendations all Text UI apps could follow to be
more RTL languages friendly
- discuss what is needed to further Steve's work.
- provide support and advice to developers wishing to support RTL languages.
From my point of view, the ultimate goal is to make Debian as Arabic
(RTL) friend of a distribution as possible.
I think it would be great to get the BIDI and RTL people together on all
Please keep the general CC when answering....unless someone
explicitely asks for being removed from it, of course.