Re: FW: Arabic dictionary

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 06:32:07PM +0300, Ahmad Al-rasheedan wrote:
> > I see no problem in taking the source files and format them to run under
> > dictd or other proprietary format. At Arabeyes, we don't allow anonymous
> > contributions to our dictionary too. I guess if you give credit for
> > Arabeyes for the work you intend to do and contribute back to the project
> > with your enhancement then I see no problem.
>
> I am not sure it works that way. Since the Wordlist is GPL'ed, it means
> that you cannot simply take it, modify and choose to give back "some" of
> your modifications. That's the whole point of the GPL. You can make use
> of it, but you have to give back everything you add to it.

I'm not sure what "proprietary format" means.  Does that mean he is planning
on taking our data and encoding it (or storing it internally somehow) in his
own proprietary method ?  If so, aren't we OK with that (ie. GPL allows for
that), no ?  Meaning, the data is unchanged as its presentation format is
immaterial, right ?

The standard mention of where the data came from, etc should be present.
If wordlist's GPL requires that his application also be under GPL then we
seem to have an issue (someone a long while ago noted that we should
consider FDL and not GPL for the Wordlist license - anyone care to comment ?).