[Fwd: Re: Huge progress on BiDi support in Debian Installer]

Hello All:

I am happy to tell you that BIDI will be in the TEXT based Debian installer (RC2 or RC3) not sure yet...

We need to get the translation done ASAP. PLEAS DO NOT usethe current CVS as debian reshuffled things big time. I will generate a new group of files and send the path to this list to finish the work.

We are almost 75 % done... not much left. let us make this the first text based (or first ever) installer in Arabic.

Thanks

Anmar
--- Begin Message --- Hello Christian:

This is truely is great progress. I am very excited about it and will get the PO files finished ASAP. The translators will be jumping for joy.

Great thanks to you and Steve it would not have materialised if it was not for your efforts.

This is gonna be big news. WHoooooo :)

p.s. is Stever putting any shaping code in place ? if not here is the link to a sample (http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/tools/shape_bidi/). I can get him in touch with Nadim Shaikli at www.arabeyes.org to get the code in place ASAP. Shaping is required only for Arabic. Just in case Stever is wondering, libfribidi does not support shaping.

Thanks again.

Anmar

Christian Perrier wrote:
(Anmar, I hope this will reach you)

Folks,

I have some good news for you. During the Debian Conference in Porto
Alegre, Brazil, Steve Langasek had great hacking sessions working on a
BiDi-enabled slang library.

While we expected to have full support for Bidi at the end of Debconf,
Steve unfortunately went into some final problems which prevented him
from finishing completely.

At this time, however, we have BiDi working with normal debconf
templates, just needing a modified slang library (and of course
libfribidi).

In Debian Installer, however, nothing is completely polished and BiDi
support is still awaited, but according to Steve's opinion, this is a
matter of a few more hacking sessions.

So, I think we now can be quite optimistic for having full BiDi
support in the final release of d-i. It will however depend again on
Steve's free time...and he has a quite overbooked agenda the next
weeks. A few work was also lost when the conference servers were put
down too quickly by the organisers, but Steve is confident in
recovering the material.

Anyways, this was a giant step and you may certainly imagine how lucky
we where, Steve and myself, on Sunday night, when he finally had
geneweb templates in Hebrew RTL...... I even went down to the
installer hack lab....at 3 in the morning.....just for making some
immediate tests with d-i...:-)

I think you all deserve Steve/vorlon a great thank you for this huge
work...

PS : pics from the
debconf-->http://www.perrier.eu.org/gallery/Debconf4

PS/2: this is written while I'm finally travelling back
home. Tired.....but so great conference.

--- End Message ---