Re: Translating CD-ROM

Munzir Taha wrote:

> [snipping out noise...]
>
> Disk قرص is completely different than cylinder أسطوانة in shape. How come?
> Why?
>
> I will try to get myself used to say the cylinder of the sun أسطوانة الشمس
> instead of The disk of the sun قرص الشمس since ...

I agree with Munzir here. The word us6uwana is simply inaccurate. One of the
things we have recommended in the past is to use the common popular law. That
is to say, if a word is very commonly known as "CD" (even in Arabic, people
say "SeeDee") the it should be transliterated instead. I guess this is not
something that has had a ruling on since the QAC's inception.

Regards,
Mohammed Elzubeir