Re: discussing the QAC rule - acronyms

On Yaum al-Sabt 29 Jumaada al-Awal 1425 07:31 am, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:

> That's fine -- start by convincing one person on the list ;)

At least, it's fair now ;)

> > Ok let's forget about our professional translator POV or United Nation or
> > UNESCO stuff. Would you agree to look in M$, Apple, Macromedia, Adobe,
> > and any famous name that produce localized software? Would you consider
> > their professional technical translators view point? I don't know of any
> > that trasliterate or transcribe or transeyes any of its product names!!
>
> Okay sure. How does MS deal with "Windows". Does it transcribe or
> transliterate? Why don't you go ahead and check that since you brought
> it up. Last I remember, they transliterated.

I am not sure how old are you but I have never seen a microsoft or any famous
company product name translitrated in a menu!! Don't you have any friend from
the dark side of the world to ask about it. I just called my little brother
from that side and he told me no program (though he has many) is written in
Arabic.

> Then again, you have to consider that most of those companies did not
> spend a lot of money on localization for Arabic.

M$ for example? Is it logic that no company in the World spend a lot of money
on localization for Arabic and WE do.

In short if you want to pass this rule I can't say more but just make it clear
that we are doing what NO ONE did before. We don't care about what others
did. It's our language and this is our businness. I can't say more ;)

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA