Re: BiDi languages currently Left to Right in Debian Installer 2nd stage

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:36:07AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Testing the latest 20040712 sid_d-i images with the ar_DZ locale, I
> have confirmed that Arabic, Hebrew and Farsi are currently wrongly
> displayed in 2nd stage : the display is left to right, while first
> stage was correct.

> There is also a doubt about proper shaping in 1st stage....as well as
> Arabic "harakat" support.

> We really need some people testing the Debian Installer images for RTL
> languages. See http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer for images
> download.

> Steve Langasek is currently not fully available for helping debugging
> this out. I'll be away for 5 days also. The first target is trying to
> understand why 2nd stage is not RTL while the bidified slang libs have
> now reached testing.

Have you verified that libfribidi0 is installed at this point?  Perhaps
there is a bug in the apt-install usage in languagechooser?

On my installed system, I get the expected results if I have libfribidi0
and slang1a-utf8 installed from testing and I run "LANG=he_IL.UTF-8
dpkg-reconfigure geneweb".

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer