Re: im new here...

>-checkout some files from cvs...(or should i checkout the whole
>project..?)
>-translate them using gTranslator
>-commit them to cvs or send them to you...

Normally you checkout the whole project, and then you commit it also by
yourself.
As a coordinator I have to tell you which files you'll work on, I simply
guide your work, especially my view is that I want to give as much
freedom as I can sometimes this is not good... So you have to tell me if
you want more guidacne or less but this will come after you first start
on your work.
Generally you simply download the po you want to work on, you work on
and upload it that's it... Without asking me when to do this or why ;)
Still for sure I'll give you a plan to work on anyway...

>now, the second step i still have some problems with...
>i downloaded gtranslator and tried to ./configure and make it, but that
>failed...
>so i'm downloading gtranslator-1.0.1-dag-rh9.rpm.... i dunno if it'll
>work
>on redhat 8.0

I would suggest that you wait for RH isos, if you want you can give me
your address I can send you some, in the case that you can't get some
from your egyptian friend.
Explaining the whole problem would be too much, and compiling gnome is
crazy I compiled it yesterday and it took me 11 hours, I knew which libs
I had to link to and what to do and a friend from Holland helped still I
had many problems and I was running Linux 2.6 on a 1.5 Ghz Celeron, so
forget about compiling gnome yourself that's suicide ;)

>i think an irc meeting would be more suitable, because i am new to
>linux and
>linux
>development, i still have a lot to learn...
>so maybe you could setup time and date and inform me 1 or 2 days
>ahead...

I would suggest tomorrow or this sunday simply tell me which time suits
you. GMT pls

>Well for RH8 it doesn't work indeed, as I told you use bleeding edge
>software...
>well, i tried to download GNOME, but i just found about a hundred files
>all
>.tar.gz or tar.bz2
>i dunno if i can install them all... isnt there any easier way to
>install
>GNOME, like an RPM or
>a makefile...?? or should i just wait and get RH 9.0..?

As said earlier forget about this. Simply wait for RH9 else give me your
address I'll send you the CDs.

In the meantime use kbabel no problem. At the end it's all software that
helps you in your translation work.
I used windows software for a long time if you know a good windows
editor also use it...

Now to something important for me, I've done a complete rewrite of the
gnome desktop to ensure quality,utf-8 compliance, standardization etc...
one of the big problems why many didn't wanted to work on the gnome
project is the high quality standard I want from ppl working on the
project.
You can translate one po and stop no problem, you can even translate one
string a week I don't have any problem with this, BUT you have to make
GOOD strings.
That's why before translating and as you'll have some time till you
really begin work on gnome, please take a look at the pos to get a
feeling for them.
Read them, look at the sensible words like folder, file, directory,
configuration etc... to know how to translate them. I want professional
work that's very important to make the finished product make Arabeyes
look good, to make it enter banks and schools, and to ensure easier
maintaining of "code": if you have a good code-base you don't have to
worry about the concistency and the quality of your work in the coming
years especially when linux will become mainstream and the translated
apps will face real world tests...

At the beginning there is no problem if strings are not that good, I am
sure we will work together towards good pos anyway...

But we'll speak about this in our irc meeting anyway.

yours
Arafat