Re: im new here...

Assalamu alaikum Mr Khalifa,

> i registered with arabeyes as a developer, but found that not to be very
> easy to just jump into.
> on the other hand im a native arabic speaker, so the translation part would
> be much easier.
> i read the translator-HOWTO and developer-HOWTO and cvs-HOWTO, and i think
> these documents
> give very good information and very sufficient for a translator to start
> with...
WE desperately need a gnome translator, I am the gnome Coordinator and
the only translator in the community, so what about joining me in
translating gnome?
With gnome 2.6 coming out we will have FULL Arabic support for it so the
base is there! And I'll be willing to help and guide you in every step
in the installation process!

> i already checked-out a few files from the Gnome translation project and
> opened them in KBabel.
> so if any Project Lead could recruit me and give me a few files first, i'd
> be very glad...

SUPER so join in!

> i dont understand much about your projects now, but im putting together the
> bits and pieces.
> the only project i understand and know is the GNOME translation project, i
> understand that it has
> a lot to go until the translation is finished... so i'd be glad if i could
> help with that....

Well to understand the whole picture we can make an irc meeting together so that I
intreduce you to the whole gnome translation process: how it is done,
it's guidelines, it's time frame, its goals etc...

> one important thing.... i dont have arabic support in KBabel and dont know
> how to add it... i can
> see arabic letters, but they're separate, i.e each charecter alone...
> so if you're going to recruit me... you have to tell me how to write arabic
> in KBabel or give me
> an alternative... maybe i could translate in windows... and i could write an
> app just like KBabel
> in windows if necessary...

It's better to use gtranslator ( http://www.gtranslator.org ) under
gnome and switching btw Arabic keymap and English keymap is under gnome
very easy, you simply have to dock an applet on your panel and by
clicking on it you can switch back and forth!

> im running Redhat 8.0 with GNOME 2.0.6... i also have KDE installed (dunno
> wich version)...
>
> ak...

You'll have to install the latest gnome as it has many patches regarding Arabic
support, I would suggest you to download either Redhat or Mandrake.
There are other distros like Debian or gnoppix but I dunno if you are a
bloody rocky or a hard-core linux user ;) if you're a beginner then
Redhat or MDK is your choice! Both are wonderful distros...

Well to get a vague idea about the status of gnome translation here are
two mails you should read:

http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/doc/2004/January/msg00061.html

http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/doc/2004/January/msg00158.html

Those mails will give you a broader idea about the work we're doing.

Now let me intrdecue myself ;)
My name is Arafat Medini I am an Arab (tunisian) born and living in
Germany I am a physics student and I love all the ppl on earth ;)
Mostly I am a very professional hardworker but sometimes I get crazy ...
So never react if I am writing abnormal mails! ;)

Enjoy and welcome abroad! :)

yours
Arafat elMedini