Re: Skolelinux (educational distro)

--- Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
[...]
> Abdulaziz by all means :-)  Do please make sure to upload the files
> onto
> Arabeyes' CVS (ie. make sure to do things the "normal" way we've been
> doing things).

Certainly, should I take this as a green light from core to go ahead
with a new project? Do please discuss this in your core meeting
tomorrow, I plan to be there :)

[...]

> Have any other culturally different groups looked into "localizing"
> this distro (what have their comments been - if any) ?  Until some of
> us use the distro to a much larger extent (Abdulaziz ?) we won't have
> a full grasp on what is needed.  For instance, I'm not sure how the
> alphabet is taught (since Arabic includes different visual forms for
> the same letter for instance) or if there is reference to any
> historical
> events, etc.  In short, we need to use the distro first and foremost
> before we really can quantify what is needed for it to really be
> natural and acceptable to an Arab child.  We've seen these issues
> among
> others in various educational applications out there (Isam, care to
> comment ?).

I'll try to get my hand on a copy of the distro ASAP to try it out
(will have to nag Jad about it). I can see what your visulaizing here,
if we could further localize the _content_ of the applications in the
distro and go beyond just translating the interface, that would be
splendid :)

I'm waiting to hear Isam's comments about this too :)

Abdulaziz,