Re: Skolelinux (educational distro)

--- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <alarfaj0 at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> --- Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> [...]
> > It would be very interesting to add the necessary Arabic hooks to
> > Skolelinux to meet the various Arabic educational needs out there
> > (cost is a HUGE factor).  Anyone interested in looking further into
> > this ?  I have a feeling it would be a cross between assembling a
> > list of what is missing (in terms of capabilities) and a list of what
> > needs to change (in terms of games and educational content) for us
> > to move forward with this.  There was a post, some hours ago, talking
> > about Gcompris - this would certainly fall into the same'ish camp.
> [...]
>
> I'm interested, I just don't know what you meant by looking into this.
> Despite the fact that we're grossly understaffed to take on yet another
> project right now I'm sure we'll manage somehow :)

I think "scoping" the necessary work and what needs to change is the
first order needed to proceed (this means contacting the author, giving
him/her a bit of info on what Arabic requires (bidi+shaping, etc) and
getting feedback from said author on what would be needed to "culturally"
change the content to suite the linguistic changes and have him/her give
your their best guess on how to proceed).  Once we know what is kinda
required (what sort of work are we talking about and how large of a scale
it will be) we can add it to the General TODO list [1] with the appropriate
internal "understanding".  Hope that made sense ;-)

[1] http://wiki.arabeyes.org/ArabeyesTodo