A Translation Workshop

Hello all,

I'm sure we all love this mailing list. Its a great
place to get quick answers from the experts to a
translation problem you might be facing, or if you
just want quick opinions from other translators on
some issue.

However, when your looking for a deep and
extra-informative analysis of a translation problem
your facing, or if you want to give such an analysis
of a problem you once faced, the mailing list just
isn't appropriate. This list is for those of us in a
hurry.

Thats why I suggest that in addition to this list, we
have a translation workshop on the Arabeyes wiki,
which would not be a forum environment, but more of a
noisy experimentation lab. Someone might have an
opinion about why they think one translation of a word
is better than another, or want to discuss a certain
methodology to translate certain types of sentences,
so they put it into a well-formulated article, and
they can supplement and fortify their opinions with
analysis, examples and arguments, while others would
add to it or remove things from it, in true scientific
experimentation fashion.

I suggest that such an endeavour be implemented on our
wiki because that seems the easiest and most flexible
way possible. I'll create (and be completely
responsible for maintaining) the workshop's homepage,
and write out a few articles, and wait for others to
do the same. If we find that one article is
particularly insightful or useful, we'll put it in a
seperate page and link to it, and so on and so
forth...

I would like to hear if anyone has any ideas on how to
better implement this idea, or if there are any
objections or misgivings about implementing this idea
in the first place (i.e. if you think this idea sucks
:).

If there aren't any objections, I'll start laying out
the main page on Saturday, maybe Sunday. I really want
to hear as many opinions as possible about this. Salam

Abdulaziz,