Re: pango and xplanet

Hello,

From: Hari Nair <hari at alumni dot caltech dot edu>
Subject: Re: pango and xplanet
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:52:11 -0800

> After some thought, I think using gettext is not very useful for
> xplanet.  We can have customized marker files in UTF8 for each locale,
> and the user can simply specify which one(s) he/she wants to use in the
> configuration file.  I will be happy to distribute localized marker
> files with xplanet, including a "pango" one with each city name in its
> local format (e.g. earth.ja_JP, earth.ru_RU, etc).

Ok, I will supply "earth.ja" file, after you will update the original
marker file.  When a user ordered to use "earth" marker file, it would
be nice if xplanet will automatically search "earth.ja_JP" and then
"earth.ja" in LANG=ja_JP.eucJP locale (for example).

I imagine Arab people want to supply "earth.ar" file rather than
"earth.ar_??" file, because Arab language is shared by many countries.
(Am I right?)
On the other hand, "earth.zh_TW" and "earth.zh_CN" would be completely
different.

For Japanese, "ja" and "ja_JP" doesn't have practical difference
because Japanese language is spoken only in Japan.

However, please note that one of gettext's merits is that obsolete
translation and new items to be translated can be easily detected.