Re: Evolution and Arabic

Once upon a time Arafat Medini wrote @ 25 May 2003 23:04:44 +0200

> Salam
>
> I contacted the evo people some time ago about Arabic support in the
> gtk2 version of the app, and we identiefied some bugs, eg you can't
> properly write arabic with gtkhtml etc... but normally evolution uses
> UTF8 as the default encoding map for international support so if you
> have something encoded in UTF8 it will be displayed otherwise try and
> see. All in all I want to say there isn't any SERIOUS support for Arabic
> in 1.4 that's what the ximian people told me. We have to wait until a
> later version of the app and we have to report more bugs to make some
> pressure to get them work on real Arabic support. But for 1.4 NO Arabic
> support is planned.

I'm about to finish the download, I'll try to compile and see.
As i notice, that arabic won't be included in 1.4, At least the ability to view mails written in other arabic encodings'd be fine
I'll compile and see,
BTW: I've discovered the problem origin with gnome terminal 2.0 "didn't have a look at the 2.2 one" since they use different widgets.
libzvt "used in 2.0" use gdkfont not pangofont to draw the layout.

Why don't we try and prepare proper patches ? Not to wait for them to do arabic support for us :-)
I'll see what can be done for GNOME ISA, But any serious work from my side won't be there till the summer vacation begin!

Anyone interested in helping me ??

--
-- Katoob Main Developer