Re: arabic fonts on debian sid

Amir Bukhari wrote:
before i remove my old debian linux "harddisk error", arabic support on
my debian run very well. but after I reinstalled it, the mozilla or
konqueror doesn't display arabic fonts "display only box". typing arabic
in kword with truetype font work fine no problem.

I use the latest debian sid with Xfree86 4.2 and kde 3.1 and gnome 2.2.
for installing arabic I use arabic Howto on arabeyes.

fonts that I installed is "10x21.*, haydar fonts, langbox fonts"

Amir

Hello Amir:

Could you describe you problem in more details... what happens when you try and switch to arabic in Gnome 2.2 ?? do you get squares, questions marks....

I am a debian,Sid user and have been using arabic with no problems.

Here is what I suggest. it looks like you are missing a few fonts or they are not setup proprely. get the truetype fonts (have arabic support) by installing the msttcorefonts :

Type: apt-get install msttcorefonts

Accept all the defaults and restart you gnome .

right click on the panel and add a utility called "KeyBoard Layout Switcher" you will then add any arabic keyboards you want.

If it is still not working go to the fonts settings in gnome 2.2 and choose AnadaleMono or Arial... these fonts have good arabic support.

hope this helps...

I am sometimges on #arabeyes IRC room, feel free to catch or any of the guys who hang around there.... :)

Anmar