Re: CVS conflicts [WAS: Oops!]

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:30:35PM +0300, Munzir Taha wrote:
> I am still confused. It seems you will force me to understand how CVS works.
> Though I am not interested on this nowadays (and will prevent me from

Well -- think about it this way -- if you are not interested in learning
how something works, why do you think others would be interested in showing
you? ;)

> finishing the translation quickly) you opted for it. So, bear with me.

Oh come on ;) It's a small learning curve that you will need to know because
this will happen more than once ;)

> RCS file: /srv/cvs/translate/misc/full_wordlist.po,v
> retrieving revision 1.7
> retrieving revision 1.9

So this is saying that since revision 1.7 there have been changes (upto 1.9
which you have not updated the file since).

> < msgstr ""
> ---
> > msgstr "???????????? ???????? ???????? ?????? ???? ???????????? ???????????? ????????????????"
> 139755c139781

When you see a  '<' character, it tells you that this line has been removed
since the latest revision. the '>' character tells you that this is what
has been added.

This is actually explained in the Translator FAQ here:
http://www.arabeyes.org/faq/translator.ar/translate.html#AEN83

Youcef, could you please see if you could add this to the Translator Guide?
Or do you think this should be in the CVS HOWTO?

> Now, what I understand is if I have checked out the file, made changes, and
> committed my changes before anyone else put his nose into the file,
> everything will be OK! but if someone committed his changes before me a
> conflict will happen. May be a solution is to cut my local file and put
> elsewhere and the checked out the file again. Make cut and paste for the
> letter M part and then commit it quickly ;-)

Heh.. that's one way to do it ;)

> Another issue:
> I have a very slow dialup connection that I need hours to work with CVS. Can't
> you divide the file into pieces? Separate the M letter for me? Let me send
> you the _changes_ by email? any suggestions?

There are 2 things here:

1. As far as cutting the file up to smaller chunks -- that is something Nadim
   would have to take up. Nadim, what do you think?
2. When you do a cvs commit, you are in effect only sending the 'changes'
   across the network. Same thing when you are donig a cvs update -- you are
   only downloading the 'changes'. You are not downloading the file in its
   entirety -- so cutting up the file to smaller chunks will not affect how
   much traffic goes back and forth.

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know: