Re: Coordinator Expectations

--- Hicham Amaoui <amaoui altern org> wrote:

[snip snip]

> As you see there's no mention to any 'monthly status report'. So if
> responsibilities change, don't you think that I have a say,
> perhaps I don't agree anymore to do this job ?

I don't want to prolong or argue what is on the table nor do I want to
dissect Mr. Elzubeir's email to note that what is expected was in fact
noted yet not spelled out.  In brief, the monthly status to be sent to
the entire group (ie. 'doc') should take you no more than an hour to
compose and update (that's an hour a month to keep all updated which
will help you organize your thoughts and plan ahead).

> Now to ask people 'go translate this or that', I'm sorry, I can't do
> that. I believe this's a voluntary project, poeple work on what they like.

I'm afraid I disagree.  Teams are created and are directed to bring
forth a common goal either due to time limitations or due to work-load
limitations in an organized manner.  To have individuals all doing as
they please without a set plan and a set priority list sounds like
anarchy and chaos to me.

> I see, there's a core that take decisions and we should follow. I'm
> again sorry, this's not how I was expecting the project to evolve.

'core' is an open, transparent group tasked with upkeep of arabeyes
as well as in propelling it's goals forward.  It's come to us as a
great surprise to see the process viewed as a "control" issue.  As
in anything in life - someone has to take an initiative and the
time to drive and direct how things proceed to the best of their
abilities.  'core' was never meant to be an exclusive club; the
idea was/is to invite those that are "very serious" and show a
high level of commitment to join in and start driving the metaproject.
Our meetings, agenda as well as the actual IRC sessions are all open.
We've said all along that arabeyes needs to survive without key
individuals and as such, 'core' was our answer - to get a group of
capable, well behaved people who are committed and very serious about
the project's future and its maintenance as well as direction to be
care takers of its critical issues.

> The only guideline I've seen is doc/howto/kde-i18n-maintain.en.sgml
> and Mohammed email's

As noted, as we grow we're seeing that more and more things need to be
spelled out.  You'd be amazed how many people on a daily basis send mail
saying "heard about arabeyes, how can I help ?" - for us to tell them
go translate _anything you like_ in KDE has resulted in people simply
disappearing (how many active translators are there now - they are free
to work on what they like - direction and motivation is needed).  Lots
of people, contrary to what you might believe, have shown that they'd
like to be directed and told what to do - the coordinator, thus, should
set a level or expectation as well as prioritize whatever work needs to
be done.

> It's not a team if a 'core' member ask me to do things and I must send a
> report back to him

You wouldn't be sending _me_ or 'core' anything - you would be sending it
to your colleagues (to 'doc') and you'd be updating the web pages.  Our
intentions are very pure and innocent and pertain to Arabeyes first and
foremost.

--- Hicham Amaoui <amaoui altern org> also wrote:
> I don't see us as a team. What I see is some decisions are made behind
> the scenes and we, contributors to the project, have no says on it. We
> have just to follow some guidline written somewhere.

I'd disagree with that violently.  Everything we do is open and
transparent and we've often solicited help and criticism (esp. with
regard to the translation effort - again, check the archives).
Once more, if there are any issues with regards to what was expected
note them.

> I'm sorry, but I don't want to continue in such closed environment.

I hope you'd reconsider, but that's completely your choice - do
please give us a definitive answer on whether you will continue as
the KDE coordinator or not.  As previously stated we need to show
progress and continue along the lines of setting a plan in place
to attain results.