Re: Coordinator Expectations

--- Hicham Amaoui <amaoui altern org> wrote:
> I don't accept that other poeple not working in the tranlsation
> process dictate what I must or not do.

I'm rather disappointed to hear your view point and reaction.  As
the subject noted, what was/is outlined is what is expected from
all coordinators.  Let me note first and foremost - Merriam-Webster
defines "coordinator" as,

  1 : to put in the same order or rank
  2 : to bring into a common action, movement, or condition : HARMONIZE
  3 : to attach so as to form a coordination complex

  Intransitive Senses
  1 : to be or become coordinate especially so as to act together
      in a smooth concerted way
  2 : to combine by means of a coordinate bond

As such the coordinator title is _not_ simply a name or a license to
make decisions its a function and there are responsibilities associated
with it.  Isam did all those things (except for mailing his status to
'doc' as we used to hear it and document it in our weekly 'core'
meetings - all of which are available on arabeyes' CVS).  Isam has noted
his plan as well as prioritizes and brain-stormed with me and others
on how to improve the process and how to bring forth more results, etc
(check the 'doc' archives to see them if in doubt).

> Please re-read the email, there's no invitation to discussion but
> thing that MUST be done.

I don't think there were contentious points noted.  If you feel that
what was noted is not reasonable or is illogical, by all means let us
know.

> Here's what I think. I announced that I'll try to finish kdelibs and
> kdebase. I don't want to assign tasks, because I prefer poeple to start
> translating aplications they love and they use regularly, and because
> everybody have a different meaning for 'important', I consider for
> example kdeedu or games to be very important.
> So just announce on what files you're working so that there's no
> overlap, and stick to a file until it's finished.

That doesn't feel like a coordinated attempt at attaining a set goal.
Having people work on what "they feel is important" is chaotic at best
and should not be encouraged - that's why the translation effort requires
and is opting to have a coordinator -- to take care of things and to
organize various individual efforts.  What's needed is a means to
orchestrate what needs to happen and what should be tackled first, etc
not from a personal opinion, but from what is most beneficial to most
users out there.

> Just start translating then :-)

Again, without a list of priorities and without a semi-solid schedule
on when things need to be done, saying 'go and translate something'
hasn't gotten us anywhere.

--- Mohammed Yousif <mhdyousif gmx net> wrote:
> This was NOT nadim's personal opinion, but it's Arabeyes decision,
> so if you are a member of Arabeyes you should take it.

Its true that its not my opinion that is driving this and its true
that its Arabeyes' 'core' collective decision, but we are always open
to rational, constructive, goal-oriented discussion.  I simply didn't
see a need for it here, there was/is nothing controversial that is
being presented.

> There are three core members who make decisions and _dictate_ what
> must be done to better accomplish Arabeyes mission.

Personally I don't view these guidelines as dictation of how things
must be done.  These guidelines and expectations are what has evolved
over the years to how best to manage certain aspects of this metaproject.
For instance, I know that Mr. Elzubeir is working on a guideline on how
to structure coding projects (release numbering, mandatory files, etc),
not because we like it that way, but because it will ease life for users
over the long run.  We've all seen what works and what doesn't and we
have all formulated means and ideas on how best to bring forth progress.
Putting those ideas on a piece of paper as a guideline is very logical.

Remember, we are all part of a team and we all have to do abit of what
might not seem worthy of our times, but when you are in a team and
are being asked to lead or coordinate a portion of it - focus, direction,
leadership, planning and assessment are a necessary part of one's duties.

Thanks all for your replies !!