Re: Translation projects' status ?

Salam,

> + Mandrake has its installation files off-site (not sure what the
>   status of that work), could we get those files to reside on arabeyes
>   to centralize all such work (Mohammed.Gamal ?) ?
>     http://www.linux-mandrake.com/l10n/ar.php3

 I agree on that as Mandrake would be a logical step for an Arabbix
shifter ( to understand what shifter means look further at the upcoming
paragraphs)

> + Debian will soon (Anmar ?) be having its own installation files uploaded
>   to arabeyes to be worked on (translate/debian ?)-- I wasn't able to find
>   a remote status page.

Is this important?
As it would be better to concentrate our efforts on Arabbix, I think
translating Debian is not a good thing to do NOW, only geeks install
Debian on their Servers or workstns and well for these ppl it doesnt
metter if the installation process is in Arabic or English, in my
opinion its a waste of resources its better to concentrate on making
Arabbic kicks A*#...
WE have coders we have arabeyes apps we have tranlators we have fonts we
have artists and me as  a "hig person" if this counts in anyway...
I think we can make with this a good distro if we join forces...

> + There was talk that we needed to arabize the debian.org pages (since alot
>   of other languages have already done that), yet I'm not sure if anyone
>   has signed-up for that.

Well maybe this is ok but still maybe this is more a prestige work, I don't know...
I mean asking the ppl to work on some pos (KDE or gnome...) is maybe
better for Arabeyes then making a translation of debian.org IMHO

> + There has also been talk of doing something with OpenOffice.org (OOo),
>   yet the details escape me -- we are to translate a bunch of things for
>   them as well.

This is good I suppose this has to be done indeed...
OpenOffice is buzz software right now and jumping on the bandwagon
is/was always a good decision... Arabeyes needs this more then a
translated Debian installer...

> + I'm not sure what is the status and purpose of this page,
>     http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?team=ar
>   but someone should contact the person noted there to get some
>   feedback from him.

>From the apps it seems hes translating GNU tools into Arabic
maybe contact him for more information? Present him our project
and ask him to joint efforts?

> + I'm unsure of Mozilla's status in terms of how complete it is
>   (percentage wise, etc), but lots of work seems to be taking
>   place there :-)

mozzi mozzzzi mozzi moooozzzi...

> + I'm unsure if Arabbix requires any translations or if its even
>   known at this point in time.

Good Q both of them, I think Arabbix needs many translation fixes I am
not an expert when it comes to init files and ins but I suppose that for
sure many hidden morphix files need translation...
Arabbix is a way we can go, Arabbix is so simple to run that the
potential is there, I'll suggest to speak about the psychology of a user
unfamiliar with linux:
I think he will say to himself I don't want my windows to be screwed,
the majority of ppl don't take risk, and in Arabia a PC is very
expensive... All ppl from the student to the CEO don't want to screw
their PCs so a LiveCd seems to be the best choice, it gives the person
the confidence: I'll run linux without ANY installation without SCREWING
up my PC and I am confident that if I don't like this s#*t I can throw
it away OR give it to one of my friends, very important is the
portability of a liveCd you don't run with 7 discs at once only one
which you can easily burn and easily transport.
So what does this mean to Arabbix, I think we have to support this
project with whatever we have/can do. I think this is the best way to
make Arabic ppl aware of Linux, the problem is we have to make publicity
HELL YES we have to go burn 500 Disks and run from one internet cafe to
the other from one company to the other and show them the Distro.
We have to go to universities and give the discs or simply to friends
mouth propaganda is a very good way too.
The ball is rolling anyway Linux is on the servers and linux will enter
the Arabic world.
So what does this mean to Arabbix itself? IMHO it has to become more
professional, I was preparing a list to send to anmar about many GUI
changes and I am asking some ppl for some nice arts etc...
AND I am working hard ong gnome 2.6 with evo totem etc... so that when
all is included in Arabbix and the Cd comes into the hand of a person
and it wants to see with it a trailer or hear quran and then type a text
it will all work, we HAVE to ensure this and we have to make the Distro
looks professional, if we make the distro professional, make it fully
support Arabic AND make REAL publicity for it we will attaign something
with it...Maybe not much BUT still we can make 100 ppl aware maybe
another interview with Elzubair maybe a child in iraq using it instead
of windows there are so much possibilities we have to be activeI am not
living in an Arabic country when I'll go to Tunisia I'll burn 50 CD or
more and distribute them there i for myself I'll try my best.
BUT where are the ppl living in Arabic countries?

> + I don't think we ever got a revised timeline/schedule on the
>   wordlist project (Ahmad/asr ?) - it would be best to gate our
>   progress and set some milestones.

Yep I was asking myself the last two weeks, with all my respect to Ahmad and Aser,
why I didn't hear anything from them where are they heading? what do
they want to do with the file? Waht are their goals?  Which meals do
they like ;) do they have pets? =) And well what's their status...

> As can be seen we have ALOT of work ahead of us; I've seen some new faces
> of late yet I didn't see any serious effort to get work committed and I'm
> hoping that will change.  As for you constant sleepers - I'm not sure what
> anyone can say to instill the sense of urgency and humility into ya and I
> fear you to get branded as "lost cause"-ers...

We'll have always a lot of work ahead, we can even have more work and even more
the problem is where are the ppl to do that work...

> Salam to those that care - I hope it's now evident why we all need to see
> periodical status reports as well as project update blurbs.

I think making a standardized script is very good for this task,
something like:

Name
Persons status
status of the project
goals
not attained goals
reproposed goals
need help
new member
personal thoughts

if we can put a standardized html page or
any script language then this would be good thing to force ppl
to write and to make it all clear and professional, like the corrections
nadim made to my status reports before...

yours
Arafat