Re: do we need any arabeyes ?

rock on Nadim, I'm with you 100% - I just got back from a conference - if anyone would like to see my presentation it's available under "files" on my site. In short, the University of Virginia where I attend was founded by the late president Thomas Jefferson, thus the importance of his quotes - to quote again "I have often thought that nothing would do more extensive good at small expense than the establishment of a small circulating library in every country" -TJ, 1820. Thus the laptop game. I am working on it as we speak, I am going to burn to CD the entire pubmed database, the protein database etc.. so that the recipient of the laptop will have an up-to-date view of modern tech / science. Now more than ever we have a chance to play a role in the history of of newly founded nation. Fully one half of Iraq's population is under 18. They have energy and enthusiasm and the willingness to learn, and they will learn. They will have at their disposal all that modern science has offered thus far. And they will contribute. The science I work with, protein synthesis, is the most cutting edge technology in the biology / chemical world. Period. For anyone that wishes to discuss this power I will happily explain why the power of life - ie biology, is indeed nothing short of ultimate greatness. Moreover, the future of protein synthesis (the root of modern biology) now lies in the hands of programmers like you and I, not in stodgy old labs with thermometers and beakers. This means that the doors are wide open on this one, any amateur with little biological / chemical knowledge has the opportunity to contribute to this effort. As Nadim said - let's get to work - let's full steam dream. Dream hard, dream great, dream dream dream. And both day and night work as if this is the chance of a lifetime. It IS the chance of a lifetime. We have no choice but to work twice as hard for our friends, and brothers, the people of Iraq. Those kids deserve a chance to run the show without venture capitalist dollars pushing them into corners. I can't think of a better way than turning the youth on to protein synthesis, if anyone else has a better plan I'm all ears, but to me it seems time to put it all down and start working on this one. It IS the big one. I know that the Koran is important, I know that there are poems by Rumi that make men weep, but this is the 21st century, and biotech is running the show. Perhaps I have not made this clear. I love Arabic culture. I am the biggest redneck you have ever seen. My grandad is a Mississippi farmer. My other grandad was a Southern Baptist preacher from Texas. I am a tall, blue eyed, pink-skinned honky, cracker, whatever. Know what? I love Arab culture. I love it. I love the sand with no tracks, I love an Iraqi childs eyes, wider than mine and wise, I love the wide opalescent glow about her head, not even CNN can take it away. I love Arabic numbers, I love the language of this machine as it takes my words and spins them accross the globe to men I'll never meet, but whom I hope to entrust my laptop to. I love this chance I've been given to export as much from this land and put it to the hands of young Iraqi men and women keen on their own future, sick of torture and violence. I love the hope that their numerical wisdom, now embedded deep within their genes, will somehow solve these riddles. I slept last night for the first time in three days. I am breathless, I have wept, I have cheered, and now I'm back to work. Rock on ya'll, let's kick ass, or perhaps better yet, let's love this chance we have, let's give back Iraq.
Anson