Re: Help needed - From a non-arabic speaking!

Hi syam

I got the same problem, but I was able to solve it by the following way. I made it working on both Redhat and Mandrake.

First u make sure u installed the arabic language support for KDE. (I installed kde-i18n-ar-3.0.2)

Go in to KDE control center (on RedHat) and from font installer  menu install any arabic ttf fonts (eg: tahoma).   Now on control center it self from fonts submenu, for all the fonts select the arabic font.  (Tahoma).  Now from the keyboard sub menu select arabic and us.  Once you apply it u may see icon for changing keyboard map on the KDE bar.  Now if you want to completely change the interface to arabic, select personalization option and select any middle east country.  I don't remember the exact submenus but if u want further information I can get u step by step details.

Ind Mandrake linux also its the same procedure but u should have kde 3.0  by default its kde 2. something.  So get KDE 3. or higher for mandrake and u can try it out.  Fonts are installed from the mandrake control center.  That is the only difference.

 "Syam S." wrote:

Hi,
I did the same procedure. And, I am able to see those fonts in applications (I
mean if I use KWord, it is there). But, when I used KDE with arabic language
set, then the applications are not showing arabic (just showing square boxes
for each char)... For example, if I run KMail, it will show its menus from
right-to-left, but the menu texts are mere square boxes instead of arabic
chars!