fonts in RH8.0 any help ?

Salam all

I installed RH8 on my PC a very bad looking distro to be sincere BUT it has
gcc3.2 and Xfree4.2 so... Anyway I have the problem that instead of getting
chars for the po files in kbabel I get squares I got this problem before but I
don't know how I resolved it so can anyne help me ? so that I can begin my
work on the po files after this long stop (in which my time were really not
holydayed at all...)

cheers
Arafat