Re: TextPad en Windows XP

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:17:46PM +0000, no no wrote:
> Salam 3alaikum,
>
> I have been using TextPad for translating the .po files for the last months
> under Windows Me and it worked just fine. This week I have upgraded to Windows XP.
> I have also downloaded the newest version of TextPad (XP compatible) and installed
> it.
>
> The problem I'm facing now is that the program does not show me the arabic
> letters in UTF-8 files any more. Instead of them I got a lot of question marks
> ?????.
>
> I know that windows is not your favorit subject, but please help if you know
> how.

This is probably related to your 'Regional Settings'. Do you have Arabic
enabled?

This is not to bash on Windows (of all flavors), but _seriously_ do NOT
use anything other than KBabel to translate. This is _extremely_
important.. so important I cannot impress it more upon you. KBabel is
the tool to use, KDE3 is out and there are absolutely no excuses.

The reason for this is not only that KBabel helps avoid all the
potential syntactical errors that may occur by editing a text file w/ a
regular editor (Textpad or otherwise, under Windows or Linux).. it only
helps maintain a consistency of the translations. This is perhaps the
most important thing about it.

So, for the sake of the quality of the translation, use KBabel.

later