Re: Math and Scientific Terminology in Maalam

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 11:24, Youcef Rabah Rahal wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Maalam has arrived to a critical step and it became necessary to me to
> introduce this question.
>
> There is an issue about the scientific terminology between Mashriq and
> Maghrib. It seems that there are no standard notations. However I am not
> sure if it is between Maghrib and
> Mashriq or between Algeria and the rest of the arab world ;) (apart from the
> difference between the digits used !)
>
> I give one example: the "Cosine" of an angle is called "Jayb Tamam"
> everywhere in the arab world. Fortunately because it is an ancient word.
> However, the notation is "JATA" in Mashriq
In Libya its Jata, but our curicilum were based on Egypt, and the new
ones a mix between Egypt nad syria IIRC

> and "TAJIB" in Maghrib (or only in Algeria ?).
> One another: "Continuity" (of functions) is "ITTISSAL" in Mashriq and
> "ISTIMRAR" in Maghrib.
Don't know that one! both seems alright to me :)

> There are of course a lot of such examples, I can make a list on request ;)
>
> The point is: Since Maalam is supposed to be used by all the Arab community,
> it is important to define a rule:
The rule would be a transltion file :) according to locale may be?!

> 1- Define a standard.
> Unlikely because this should be done at a higher level. Though Arabeyes can
> emit recommendations to the Arab League for example ? But I'm not sure of
> the impact and, moreover, a first release of Maalam will be realised very
> soon.
>
> OR
>
> 2- Use both notations (the user configures the program).

USer Configurerable if needed

> OR
>
> 3- Use a notation over the other.

Of course the Algerian one, and change it when ppl starts to complain!
but usually not!!

> Please people I need your advice. Especially people from Maghrib to tell me
> if it is a real Maghrib-Mashriq issue or only a
> Algeria-Rest_Of_the_Arab_world one.

NOT LIBYA for sure

Walid the Libyan