Re: hijri date in kde (korganizer)

Salam

Excuses first of all for being so late  in response ;)

On Thu 22, Aug 2002 03:08, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> For what its worth "Yamul" means "Day of" (or similar) in Arabic; all
> those should really be,

   Thanks a lot. Fixed.

> > >  2. The day-off is usually considered to be Jumaa (Friday) and so the
> > >     first day of the week is usually noted to be Saturday and so I
> > > think Saturday (Sabet) should be first column on the left.

   Fixed Jumaa as 'red'.
   I've asked kdepim mail list it there would be any way to start week on
saturday without breaking kde framework. Week starts on monday or friday is
selected not in korganizer, but in kde control center. I'll post their answer
as soon as possible.

> > >  3. In order for this to really be "Arabic friendly" all those dates
> > >     should be written in Arabic; I'm not sure if this is a localization
> > >     issue or what, but it reads a bit hard with english abbreviations
> > >     since I've never seen those before :-)  To get those strings
> > >     translated will take approx. 5-10 minutes by someone on this list
> > >     since there are so many high powered translators here.  Are there
> > >     associated .pot files with this application ?

	As date information isn't i18n, but KDE and locale dependent, i ignore. I've
also asked in kdepim mail list if make i18n of date information just in
kcalendarsystemhijri could be a solution. As before, i'll communicate their
answer.

> > >  a. I didn't see a "year" view; that would be helpful
> >
> See if its something you'd like to add it to your TODO list.

   I'm afraid it's far away from my scope. I think it must be told to current
korganizer mantainer and kdepim list ;)

>  Why not implement the internals of the
> calendar in any date format _you_ feel comfortable with and then simply do
> a conversation (on the fly) to display what's stored in a different format
> (Hijri in this instance) ?  That would prove itself very simple to switch
> from one calendar type to another (ie. it will be very expandable in the
> future) -- it becomes a conversion and display issue and not a
> storage/recall issue.

   That's how everything is implemented. Internal and unique 'real' date
objects are QDate, gregorian. Specific calendar type display are got just
through conversions. But those conversions are exclusively for displaying,
not for internals, calendar files, etc...

> As for how best to display, I'd tend to think something along the lines of
> having two numbers within a box (while looking at a month view for
> instance), so
>
>   http://www.uniovi.es/~morfologia/Atlas/personal/korgi18n/monthview.png

   That could be a great solution ;) I was thinking all the time in date
navigator (the calendar on the left). That's becouse i found doble dates them
a bit confussing (lack of space). But in the month view, would be very
appropiate and no confussing at all...

> > > Question:
> > >
> What I was getting at is not whether one will be able to see both calendar
> types in one view, but whether one will be able to "click" on something to
> convert his/her view from Hijri to Gregorian (completely switch over).

   Sure, in future, when support would be complete for korganizer, some kind
of gui switches or selections would be created.

   Really, thanks a lot for all your helpful comments and suggestions. They
have lighten a lot many obscure questions about date i18n... ;)

   I'll update the screenshots in brief, to  reflect the new stuff

Salam

amin