Re: QaMoose Dictionary released!

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 02:39:41PM +0000, Yasser Chaddad wrote:

I am replying to a message posted on general [attempting to keep the mailing
lists within their subject matter].

> I would like to take this opportunity to ask you to put my name on the
> translators' list. I already downloaded and istalled WinCVS and TextPad. I

Email 'contact-at-arabeyes-dot-org' with your password to have your account
setup.

> 1- Is it up to me to decide upon which file to translate, or is there a
> coordination to prioritize the work?

As Isam pointed out, the priority at the moment is the kdebase/ directory.
Once that is done, you are free to do what _you_ would like to have translated
first.

> Now I have a last question about Qamoose, is it OK to add to it the relevant
> terms used by Microsoft in its Arabic glossaries that can be found at the
> following address:
>
> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/newup/glossary/

Yes and no. MS does not own the Arabic language, so they cannot dictate what
words we are allowed to use! We certainly do rely on some MS legacy
translations to make the transition easier on the user. That in mind, we are
also dropping some MS translations in favor of more sensible ones. So, to
answer your question, we would like to have a combination of everything that
is out there. We will adopt words as outline in the Arabic Documentation
Standards draft (http://www.arabeyes.org/papers/doc-standards/).

> I would be glad to receive your response to my questions and my request to
> help in the translation effort, knowing, however, that I might be a little bit too
> slow in delivering any work assigned to me and that I will start my work with you
> as soon as I come back by the end of next week from a short vacation.

Hrmm.. well then let us know when you _are_ ready to work ;)

| Mohammed Elzubeir                    | http://fakkir.net/           |
| Tech Support                         | http://www.arabeyes.org/     |
| College of Business Computing Center | Homepage:                    |
| University of North Texas            | http://fakkir.net/~elzubeir/ |