Re: String in Arabic Translation of KDE

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 04:03:39PM +0200, Thomas Diehl wrote:

> Thank you for pointing this out in such a polite way. I removed the
> respective string from desktop.po (after all it was me who added the
> file on behalf of the Arabic team).
>
> I ask everybody once more to refrain from mixing up political
> statements with translation work. I hope we can agree the KDE project
> is about peaceful cooperation between volunteers, not about fighting
> old or recent wars in one way or another.

This is the last post on the subject. I don't want to see anymore posts about
this subject ever again. I am very very serious about this. So, let me make it
clear:

I understand that many of you are very passionate about Palestine and the
occupation, and whatnot. However, since we are translating and not creating
something from scratch, we will have to abide by certain things. The term
Israel is to be translated as 'Israel' (in Arabic), period.

Since the whole world (with a few exceptions) recognizes Israel, and since its
proper translation is Arabic, we are not to change the context of the terms,
but to translate them. It must also be noted that the 'territories' usually
referred to as 'falstine almuhtalla' do not include all of what is now known
as Israel.

However, we would very much like to see a "Palestine" in the KDE files too.

I feel very strongly against having political discussions on arabeyes.org. I
will seriously not hesitate to cancel someone's account if they continue to
post about the subject. There are many other forums for this purpose. I know I
am overstating it, but I don't want anyone to say they haven't been warned.

This is my final decision. Please continue to translate Israel as is.
| Mohammed Elzubeir                    | http://www.fakkir.net/           |
| Tech Support                         | http://www.arabeyes.org/         |
| College of Business Computing Center | Homepage:                        |
| University of North Texas            | http://www.fakkir.net/~elzubeir/ |