Re: suggestion for arabic letters

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:39:27 -0600
 "Mohammed Elzubeir" wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 04:42:14AM -0800, Taha Zerrouki wrote:
> >
> > I remarke in MS windows that if u type an arabic
> > letter, then u lock Caps Lock and use shift with
> >
> > - [1,!] button, the arabic letter will take the
> > initial form of an arabic letter,
> >
> > - [2,@] button, the arabic letter will take the ended
> > form of arabic letter,
> >
> > the first case is usefull,e.g. when u write the hijir
> > symbol after date.
> >
> > the second, if u use an arabic abreviation with
> > seperate letters,
> >

> Salam,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion. My question is, is this a default
> behavior in MS Windows, or are they options that you can set
> (I am sorry, I'm not familiar with how MS Windows works).
>
> Also, wouldn't white-space or a dot (.) do the trick, as far as
> abbreviations go? The reason for this is that what you are
> suggesting adds a whole lot of complexity to Arabic support.
> And, even if it were to be implemented on one application or
> the other, the behavior cannot be guaranteed across all
> applications, let alone platform.

This conversation should really be conducted on 'developer' :-)

I'm not familiar with Arabic MS-windows either.  So what happens
when you save the file and then open it again -- do the
"forced-shaped" character appear as you expect or do you have
to reshape them ?

What I'm getting at, for those that care about details, is whether
special characters are stored to note the shape or whether this
is simply a visual/display feature.  If there is anything saved, in
terms of special characters, I wonder whether this is unicode
approved (ie. it could be proprietary to MS).