Re: suggestion for arabic letters

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 04:42:14AM -0800, Taha Zerrouki wrote:

> please, i have a small suggestion for those working in
> arabic char set,
>
> i remarke in MS windows that if u type an arabic
> letter, then u lock Caps Lock and use shift with
>
> - [1,!] button, the arabic letter will take the
> initial form of an arabic letter,
>
> - [2,@] button, the arabic letter will take the ended
> form of arabic letter,
>
> the first case is usefull,e.g. when u write the hijir
> symbol after date.
>
> the second, if u use an arabic abreviation with
> seperate letters,

Salam,

Thank you for your suggestion. My question is, is this a default behavior in
MS Windows, or are they options that you can set (I am sorry, I'm not familiar
with how MS Windows works).

Also, wouldn't white-space or a dot (.) do the trick, as far as abbreviations
go? The reason for this is that what you are suggesting adds a whole lot of
complexity to Arabic support. And, even if it were to be implemented on one
application or the other, the behavior cannot be guaranteed across all
applications, let alone platform.

regards,