Re: Translitteration

Dear all:

Happy Eid and Kol Sana wentum tayyebeen.

>On the net, arab youth use a combination of numbers
>and apostrophies to represent letters that have no
>equivelant in English:
>7 = Ha (As in Marhaba)
>'7 = Kha (As in Khareta---> Map)
>6 = Ta' (As in Taweel---> Long)
>'6 = Dha' (As in DHaher----> Apparent)
>3 = Ain (As in Ain ---> Eye)
>'3 = Ghain (As in Ghareeb---> Strange)
>That's the Arabic transliteration used over the net (&
>only over the net).

Indeed this is what is used over the net. However, I could find intersting
information about the names of all Unicode 3.1 characters (ISO 10646) and their
annotations at the following address (the page is in French):

http://iquebec.ifrance.com/hapax/ListeDesNoms16.htm

There are also two ISO norms (that I ordered but still didn't receive) about
translitteration of Arabic characters. As soon as I get them, I will try to
forward them to someone who would be willing to find, if not create, the fonts
needed to type them on the computer. These are ISO 233 and ISO 233-2 (ISO 233-3 is
for the translitteration of Persian characters).

I am also attaching a MSWord 2000 document showing a system widely applied to
translitterate Arabic characters. That system was designed by the French linguists
Regis Blachere and M. Gaudefroy-Demombynes. I had to modify some of the characters
(highlighted) as I do not have the required fonts. If someone is interested, I
would send him a hard copy to his address. Please note that the Arabic vowells are
not included. They are conventionllay as follows:

Al-damma: u
Al-Fatha: a
Al-kasra: i

Sorry for that late response. Regards to all.

Yasser Chaddad

Be part of the leading Arab Virtual community, http://www.maktoob.com